Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More Raptors!

State Line Lookout, 9-26-12

Raptor migration was at a halt on this day.  Rarely, however, does State Line Lookout not impress.  The resident Bald Eagles were in the area below along the Hudson.  Ravens, Ospreys, Great Blue Herons, a Herring Gull and Chimney Swifts were also observed.  Unfortunately, after I had packed up and was headed back to my car the juvenile eagle decided to fly within 20 feet of the lookout.  This solidifies my assumptions that bird photography is made up of many elements, including LUCK!  Sometimes you got to be at the right place at the right time.




As soon as this eagle landed in the tree a resident Osprey flew in as if to harass.  Of course, the eagle didn't budge.  Apex predator!


    
This guy was a great spectacle for all of us.  He or she sat here for at least an hour.


Resident Common Raven with dead bird in mouth.



Indian Pond, 10-1-12

Indian Pond in Teaneck, NJ is what I refer to as a "Mini DeKorte".  It is about the size of a football field and is situated between the Hackensack River and the hills along Teaneck Road.  The Hackensack River Greenway has helped bring back the natural diversity of this area.  I have seen well over 50 species of birds in this area within the last year.  There is a healthy population of resident birds and migrants love to stop by to recharge.  The trail between the pond and the river is always a hotspot for warblers whether resident or migratory.  There is a good diversity of floral life and the rise and fall of the tide constantly changes the birding scene.

Raptors also abound here.  This Monday was another great experience.  After arriving and setting up my camera I spooked a Great Blue Heron out of a tree across the river.  A few minutes later I observed a Norther Harrier cross the river and fly off to the southwest.  As soon as I rounded the pond there were two Ospreys that set up to hover over the pond.  Last winter I observed them diving into the pond for fish.  One of them actually had a small fish in its talons.  I was wondering if he or she was keeping the small fish as insurance in case a bigger one was spotted.  Not long after the Ospreys moved on three or four Red-tailed Hawks moved in followed by a juvenile Bald Eagle.  Every now and then you will see the Ospreys or Bald Eagles sitting in the trees across the river.  I feel lucky because I work within five minutes walk or a minutes drive from this pond.  I have been frequenting the pond for about two years now and it will always hold a special place in my memories.





It occurred to me that this Osprey might have been holding onto this small fish as insurance.  He or she was clearly set up over the pond looking for other fish with this smaller fish in talon.



The juvenile Bald Eagle that flew in to quickly inspect the pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment