Monday, November 12, 2012

Lake Tappan and Poplar Road

Red-necked Grebes and Horned Grebes on Lake Tappan on the New Jersey/New York border have sent birders flocking up to this area as of late.  A day or two after Superstorm Sandy moved through the area the first sightings were made.  I have been up there twice now and have not been able to see either of the two.  Despite using scopes, binoculars and my camera I haven't spotted them.  My lack of experience in this type of bird viewing (scoping) probably also isn't helping me out either.  As long as the reports are still coming in I will keep trying!

Although I have not seen the grebes as of yet, I have gotten some other good photo opportunities.




Red-tailed Hawk checking me out!


Red-shouldered Hawk


Chipping Sparrow

Since I wasn't able to produce any Red-necked Grebe pictures (albeit they most likely would have been tiny specks on the lake) I am going to throw in a couple shots of a Pied-billed Grebe I got earlier that day on the pond at Wood Dale County Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment