Friday, October 19, 2012

Indian Pond Never Disappoints!

I feel so lucky to live and work so close to Indian Pond in Teaneck, NJ.  This tiny speck of a place never disappoints me.  It is not a place that birders flock to or would drive many miles out of their way to go to.  In my case, however, my proximity to it leaves me with a pretty good day to day idea of what is happening.  I have been going there fairly regularly (about 1-2 days a weeks or more) for the last year and I feel a great connection to it.

I am even beginning to see birds that I believe I saw last year.  For instance, the current small flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers was surely around last winter.  A recent visitor, a Green Heron, seems to be the same bird that gave me a photo shoot last year with my point and shoot.  Also, resident Downy Woodpeckers, Mallards, Canada Geese and a female Belted Kingfisher appear to be the same birds.  It is amazing to think that you can begin to recognize patterns in movements and behaviors from a local group of birds to the point you can predict where they will be at any given moment.  Being so new to birding, this is another unexpected pleasure I have come to know.

Last Tuesday (October 16, 2012) was one particular day to remember and it ranks up in my top three experiences at "the pond".  Things always seem to really heat up when I walk about halfway around the pond, however, the action began right away in the parking lot.  A Red-tailed Hawk was perched in an oak tree scanning the plethora of local squirrels.  After my raptor photo shoot I was, you guessed it, halfway around the pond when I noticed an adult male and juvenile Yellow-breasted Sapsucker doing what they do i.e. making tiny holes in their preferred trees.

After getting some solid pictures I walked out a little ways into the Hackensack River (at low tide, of course).  A Green Heron, perceived to be the same one at saw this time last year, started putting on a photo shoot from about 20 yards away.  Somehow I think he or she knew I wouldn't risk walking into the mud with my expensive camera and lens hence she was safe on an isolated log in the sea of mud.  Other highlights included some really close up pics of a Downy Woodpecker in some excellent evening light.  Lastly, a Brown Creeper also gave me a photo shoot, allowing me to get to within near minimum focal distance of my 400mm lens (also in excellent horizontal light).

The following Thursday (October 18, 2012) I came back during the same time of the day (about 4 PM to dusk).  The juvenile sapsucker was still around, but wasn't really into pics.  I observed that one of the trees they had been working on looked like some had taken a .22 caliber rifle to it, an all out assault on the tree, which was causing the sap to literally flow out of it in small streams.  The Downy Woodpeckers were all over this tree, sipping up the sap.  Some of the Yellow-rumped Warblers also were hanging out near the tree.  Apparently the Downys also have a "sweet beak" for this sweet, viscous substance.

On a final note, the resident female Belted Kingfisher was causing a ruckus all over the pond and adjacent Hackensack River.  She often flies between several of her favorite perches on the pond and if alarmed will sometimes fly to the river.  If she flies in when I'm behind bushes I am sometimes able to sneak up on her.  This particular time I snuck up and got some decent shots.  She was not a happy camper about this!  She usually will do her rapid fire rattling sound for about few seconds as she flies off.  This time she flew two complete circles around the fringes of the pond doing her rattling sound with out a single pause.  This was my cue to leave her territory i.e. the pond.




Red-tailed Hawk checking out the local squirrel population.








Green Heron doing 360 degree turns for his photo shoot.  ; )


Hermit Thrush


Juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (good dorsal view)  Notice the forked tail, a perfect stabilizer.



A couple of my first looks at the adult male.



The juvenile (again) after flying right next to me for a brief instant.






More looks at the adult male, bathed in some good light.


Cedar Waxwings frequent Indian Pond as well.





Downy Woodpecker male





Closer shots of the adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.






This Brown Creeper certainly wasn't creeping around me.  This last picture I caught him entering the shadows.  It just shows how important good lighting is for good pictures.  The bird is half good, half bad.



A couple last looks at the juvenile.  


Northern Flicker


The Brown Creeper among the beautiful fall colors.


One last shot of the Green Heron around dusk.





The following Thursday when the Male Downy was drinking the sap oozing out of the trees the sapsuckers had done their work on.



A couple looks at the fresh holes the sapsuckers had made.  The first pic appears to have older holes above the fresh ones.  Possible holes from last season?


Indian Pond is also a great place to see several species of turtles.






The female Belted Kingfisher over some of her favorite Indian Pond perches. 




Some final shots of her at dusk over the Hackensack River.


INDIAN POND NEVER DISAPPOINTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment